Hey, girl, how are you? I’m on a plane right now, Chicago here I come. Lovely little Midway airport. Manageable, bite-sized little airport where everyone smiles because they are not fighting the crowds at O’Hare.
How are you? What are you up to this week? Do you have your goals written down? For the quarter, for the week, for today? And are you remembering to take care of your family, your marriage, yourself, along with those Power Point presentations? And customer calls. And budget meetings.
Balance. I love and I hate that word. I love the idea, but really, there is no “balance” in our lives. No magical perfect point at which, if we arrange everything just so, our lives will be calm and harmonious. Nope, no balance. There are just too many variables. (Ear infection, flat tire, 8AM phone call from the boss asking you to rescue customer A1…) But there is trying, and there is pivoting as needed, and there is grace and forgiveness when something goes awry. Functional, happy life, yes. Balance, not so much.
I was still figuring out rides for my kids in the kitchen this morning. We had Plan A (Dad), Plan B (big brother) and Plan C (the nice family whose son is also on the basketball team). Thank God for cell phones, the kids will check their texts after school (their school has a zero cell phone policy during the day, which I love) to see how they are getting to their various activities. Not ideal, but this is our reality for today.
At least until I make it big and can hire a chauffeur. And a cook. And a gardener. Oooh, and a stylist! I digress.
Juggle. Juggle like the magician you are, Mamma. Juggle while keeping your core values in the front of your mind.
My core values:
* God – Am I being ethical and honest in all I do? Did I say thank you for all the blessings God has given me today?
* Family – Am I meeting my family’s needs? Do I know my family’s needs? Am I communicating to them the back and forth of our days so that they never feel like they are walking blind? Did I tell them I love them today? Touch them? Look them in the eye?
* Worker – Am I giving my company great energy and my full intelligence? Am I doing excellent work? Am I supporting my team?
* Writing – This blog. My Mamma friends. Love you, ladies.
* Athlete – Did I move my body today? I need to be fully functional and fully energized in order to meet all my other obligations. I have to be healthy to do that. Walk by the McD’s sister, your body needs better.
* Giver – Did I give back to the world today? Help someone who needed a little support? To whom much is given, much is expected, and I’m pretty darn blessed.
* Woman – Have I indulged in the feminine side of me? The side that needs to be fed with beauty, softness, and an occasional Walt Whitman poem? Don’t forget her in all the achieving and taking care of others. She gets lonely.
How about you, darling? What is your list? Take time to think about it, consider writing it down by hand because there is tremendous power in that exercise. Values, goals. Thoreau’s well-examined life.
Busy, yes, but mindfully lived, even as you run through the airport (Parking lot? Grocery store?) like a crazy woman.
Go, Mamma, go. And enjoy the ride.